Thursday, July 9, 2009

Confection Chronicles: The Godzilla Cake!

First of all, I have had quite a few inquiries as to whether or not I do Cakes for hire. My answer is SORT OF. I have inquired about licensing my kitchen and all that it requires for me to start an official business. It might actually be possible. There is a chance my teeny weeny kitchen could actually pass an inspection and if it does I will be "OFFICIAL" after I overcome my second hurdle...$$$. So I would be Ecstatic to be hired out to do a cake, it's just that I can't advertise. It's just word of mouth for now. But if you would like some info about prices and availability, just click on this or my profile to the right, get my phone number or e-mail and get a hold of me. OR just leave a comment with a way for me to get a hold of you.:)
Whew! So I finally finished the
Godzilla Cake for my nephew, Branson, who turned 8 on July 4th,
and the main thing I have to say about that is ... I REALLY thought I was going to end up on "Cake Wrecks".
I don't know if you've ever looked at the "Cake Wrecks" blog.
But If you haven't check it out here.
The girl that blogs it is hilarious and the cakes are too. I just know someday I will have a cake pic to send her. Let me tell you I'm pretty sure this Cake is still up for debate...I totally understand why Cake People on Food Network always use wood and screws and other building materials for cake supports. It is a total PAIN to try to get something to stay together and stand up without them. Not to mention the fact that while I am an artistic sort there are 2 things I am not...A Sculptor or A Painter. Some better sculpting skills would have really been nice. Thank heavens my husband jumped in to help. He did the hands and feet.
Not that I wouldn't have done just as good EVENTUALLY
but I was really pressed for time and was really grateful I didn't have to figure them out.
This cake looks like a 10 hour cake.
In fact it looks like a 6 hour cake but
BOY WAS I DECEIVED!
And the really sad thing about the amount of time I spent on it is that it's not PERFECT or even NEAR PERFECT. Not for lack of trying. If I were to do it again, however...well, it would be better. Don't mean to be so negative but usually post cake I feel exhilarated and content. This time I just want to blog about it and put it out of my mind. But on the bright side, Branson was totally happy and all his friends were impressed. So I guess it did what a cake's suppose to do. And I guess I was challenged which is what I like to be when I do a cake. Must gain Experience somehow, right? Anyways, here are some more pics to enjoy on MY blog. "Cake Wrecks" is going to have to wait.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did an amazing job. I created a 3D Godzilla for a kid and all he could say was: Godzilla is dark gray, not green. So, kuddos to you! See mine here: www.myspace.com/SweetDesignsCakery

    You are very talented!

    -heather horton

    ReplyDelete