Thursday, December 31, 2009

Confection Chronicles: The Union Pacific Railroad Retirement Cake

I finally have them...Photos of my Dad's retirement cake. And after I post them I think they will be the only pictures of a Union Pacific Railroad cake that exist on the web. At least at the time I was making it I could not get even one hit on a Union Pacific Railroad Cake. I made this cake in Paris, Idaho at my auntie Tanja's house. She kindly offered me her kitchen so that I could keep the cake a surprise. My sister Jena helped me bake and mix fondant. So for a couple of days we were gone all day. Needless to say my dad was getting kind of nosy. My mom kept telling him that we were at a Bear Lake High alumni party. I think in the end he figured it out but I know he was still surprised once he saw the finished result. My Dad worked his fingers to the bone for the Union Pacific Railroad and I was so glad that we had this party for him. He definitely deserved a celebration. I'm not sure if the concept quite worked but I had Andy build me this cake stand so that it would look like the cake was tipping over. Then I planted a golf ball in the side of the cake to symbolize funner things doing away with all the hard work. In the end I ran out of time to make it really polished and perfect but I was still happy with the finished product. And I got to use Sugar Veil which has got to be the best cake decorating medium that exists. The Chef at Bear Lake West even asked me to be his cake lady. I was super flattered but told him that would be a little impossible considering I live in Oregon. Oh well, the thought was nice.
Here are some more pics of the details...

1 comment: