Monday, April 20, 2009

Confection Chronicles: The Cakes of Christmas Presents

FIRST OF ALL I have to Post a CORRECTION. I can't believe I did this but, I mixed up my second and third cake. Aubrey's birthday comes AFTER Isaac's which means that Lightning McQueen came before the Groovy Girls. As if it really matters but... there ya go.

So, nine months after the GROOVY GIRLS came the cakes of Christmas Presents for Ellie's Second Birthday which happens to be on December 28th. By this time I was so sick of trying to find a good cake recipe that I just decided to buy the cake at the store and put the fondant on it myself. So I ordered a large sheet cake with chocolate mousse filling from Costco. I specifically ordered it frosted smooth with no piped edge or top. I believe I did tell them I was going to be adding fondant so they wouldn't think I was insane.

I then cut the cake into squares and "wrapped" them in fondant. I then added embellishments like polka dots and bows. This was the first time I had ever made a fondant bow and I do believe that is QUITE OBVIOUS. The party was at my MIL house and consequently I had to transfer all the cakes there by myself. Almost all of them made it there uneventfully except the tallest one...it completely tipped upside down. I did my best to put it back together but It did suffer a little.
My favorite part about this cake is the fondant covered candles that I made. Aren't they cute?

2 comments:

  1. The candles really are SO cute. I also love the quilted look on one of the presents. I don't know what you're talking about with the bows.. they look great. I think I would have cried if all my hard work tipped upside down... did YOU cry??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know you had a blog. Nice to find you on here:)

    ReplyDelete